[FC] Rampside parts - backup lamp

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 15 20:17:58 EST 2005

OK, Now I'm REALLY confused.

First - a day or two ago someone said FCs do not have backup lights.  Mine
does not - a '61 Standard Rampy with 4 spd trans.

Today, Bryan mentions getting the engine door if the backup lights are good.

So which is it?  Backups or no backups on FCs?

I'm looking at my '61 Chassis Manual and see on page 8-80 a reference to
"Tail, Stop and Backup Lamp".  But the figure they refer you to appears to
have only one bulb - but THREE wires.  So, is the backup lamp in the same
housing with the Tail/Stop lamp?  It appears that all three wires go to one
single bulb.

The figure # 8-157 is of the fuse box and it seems to have a post marked
"B.U.LPS" which I would take to be BackUp Lamps.  Figure # 8-156 is of Tail
Lamp Circuit and shows only two wires.  But, since it is supposed to be the
tail lamp circuit, maybe they are just not showing the lead to the backup
lamp?

The trouble shooting section pp 8-75 and 8-76 makes no mention of backup
lights.

Now, the wiring diagram at the top of 8-44 shows backup lamps and switch for
manual trans and for automatic but I could not find any transmission figures
which show the switch in position on the trans.  Also, I think that 8-44
might be only referring to cars - but not sure on that.

Page 8-54 gives instructions for replacing backup switch - but for 3 spd
only.  It is located in the tunnel, not on the trans.  Does anyone know if
that 3 spd switch could be used on a 4 spd?  One just went by on eBay for
not a lot of $$.

So, I guess the questions are:

On an FC...

Is there a separate housing for backup and what does it look like?  Does it
(they) go on the engine door?

If no separate housing, are there two sockets in the arrow shaped housing
and a different lens with a clear area?  Or, is there some kind of 3
filament bulb for one socket and (with or without) a special "backup" lens?

Where does the switch go for various transmissions?

Can the 3 spd backup switch be used with 4 spd trans?

Why am I asking all this?  I'd like to install backups but would like them
to appear stock.

Later, JR