[FC] rear bearing

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 00:53:10 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/25/05 9:44:13 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
lumppytom at hotmail.com writes:

> I am restoring a 64 Greenbrier that has been parked since 79. I want to
> lube the rear wheel bearings before it leaves the garage.  I have read several
> methods of drilling and getting grease to the rear wheel bearings, my concern
> is getting drill shavings in the hole when the drill breaks through.  I am
> sure some have had success at this but I am also very interested in hearing of
> what didn't work.  I have the original set on the van plus a set off a parts
> van I can do bench work on.  I am a machinist and have access to a shop full
> of ways to pierce or cut a hole (small dremmel type tool to grind a small
> slot?) shavings would be pushed away from opening but sealing the hole would be
> messier.
> Thanks,
> Tom St. Amand

Tom,
That's not the way to lube an FC rear bearing. You should first pull the axle
out as far as it will go, and then carefully separate the two bearing shells
by removing the rivets. Then use brake cleaner followed by greasing with a gun
and needle. Replace rivets with small hardware.
Regards,
Bob Helt