[FC] Alcoholic Corvairs?

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Tue May 3 23:00:11 EDT 2005

This is true if and only if you have varnish buildup in your fuel system.

Acetone has an OK octane rating, though nothing exceptional.  It is very
volatile.  It's also an excellent solvent.  If you have a grungy fuel
system and you add acetone to the fuel it will dissolve the grunge.  This
is theoretically a good thing, but there is the minor problem that all the
grunge (rust held in place by varnish, in my case) floats into the fuel
filters, plugs them, and then the engine stops running.

If you want a good commonly-available octane booster, look for toluene.  It
has an acceptable volatility and a good octane number (RON=121).  It also
has no oxygen in the molecule, which makes it a better fuel (more energy
density) than Acetone.

If the fuel system is in good tune, I can't imagine why acetone would
improve fuel economy.  It has a low yield of energy and a high
volatility.  For that matter, adding *any* octane booster is not usually
going to improve your fuel economy.  Octane rating is related only to knock
resistance.  If your engine is set to design specifications and isn't
knocking under load on the unmodified fuel, then changing to a higher
octane number won't help anything, and might hurt, as many octane boosters
are oxygenate compounds with lower energy densities than the gasoline to
which they're added.

It's true that you can get some additional fuel economy if the pump fuel
you're using isn't up to design specs on the engine (say on a 140 or 180 HP
corvair when you can't get fuel above 87 PON and it pings on 87) then
spiking the fuel will allow you to run stock specs for ignition timing and
compression ratio.

So the short answer is that adding acetone doesn't magically do anything,
unless there's something wrong with your engine beforehand.  Save your money.

Fuel chemistry has been pretty well documented over the last 100+
years.  Trust me,  if there were a way to magically increase fuel economy
by x percent by dumping a little industrial waste in the fuel tank, the
auto manufacturers would have jumped at it decades ago.

--Rad Davis
(former vehicle emissions chemist)
'65 Greenbrier Deluxe #968