[FC] Very noisy lifters first startup... twenty minutes later...

Merv Krull and or Loretta Prosser krupross at sunwave.net
Sun May 15 19:42:58 EDT 2005

I re-read Bob Helt's book on noisy lifters and he suggests up to 20 minutes
for an engine that was poorly maintained... so I ran it for another 10
minutes and I am pretty sure most of the lifters quieted down, but there are
two, maybe three lifters making most of the racket.... somewhat like a 7 oz.
ball pein hammer banging on an anvil.
More history: When the car got here from its journey from Campbell River, I
took it for the customary test drive and it ran smooth and quiet. The clutch
slipped, but otherwise all seemed well. When I pulled the pan off, it was
mired in grey sludge which was probably a PTFE engine gunk of some sort.
Would that stuff keep lifters quiet? I would think doubtful, but if it got
stuck in the lifters, it may explain why a couple of lifters are gifted
noise makers now ...???

a somewhat deafened Merv KRull
Salmon Arm, BC