[FC] part wanted / Front Controls Splash Shield

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Nov 27 20:48:04 EST 2005

Hello Folks,

With regard to the pan or shield or deflector (I call it the Front Controls
Splash Shield) that is found on many later FC's; here is what I know:

-> The FCSS appears to have been standard equipment on all '64 and '65 FC's
and probably began to appear on late '63 models (along with other
improvements).  However, it may have been that vehicles destined for warm
climates were not fitted with them.

-> I remember seeing a factory service bulletin dated sometime in mid-1962
that had a drawing and pattern with dimensions for fabricating a shield
either by the dealer by a local sheet metal shop.  Apparently customers
operating FC's in snow or slush covered roads were having problems with the
controls being blocked or frozen in position by accumulated snow and ice.
[someting I have experienced first hand with vehicles other than FC's]

-> When properly installed, all of the normal lubrication points can be
reached through strategically placed holes in the factory shield and the
plug under the floor mat for the MC fill.  I have only had to R & R the
shield for more problematical repairs.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI