[FC] Theory Behind Main Bearing Thump

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 9 13:10:39 EDT 2005

If you mean the gentle once/rev thump at low RPM under no load with a warm
engine, I think GM decided that it was no big deal, except that it bothered
people, and came up with the "out of line" bearing package to make it go
away.  This is discussed in SAE Paper 140C if I remember right.

That said, periodic thumps aren't usually a good thing.  Another question
worth asking:  Are you sure it's a main?  If the drive end cam bores are
worn enough, the cam will thump back and forth in the bore as valve events
occur.  If you're at this state, the next step is a stripped cam gear and
bent valves.

I'm also assuming that you've got good oil pressure at idle and the like...

--Rad Davis