[FC] Fan belt toss?

Diane Galli rdgalli at tcsn.net
Fri Oct 21 01:20:53 EDT 2005

Steve, several things can cause a fan belt to come off repeatedly,
especially on a '61.
   A '61 has a heavy, steel fan to start with. It acts as a flywheel. This
by its self will not cause the belt to fly off, but if your engine is
running uneven, especially at idle, the tendency for the belt to stretch and
contract, giving it a whipping motion, allowing it to come out of the
groove, especially if the belt is too wide. If they are too wide, they ride
too high in the groove.
      Another cause is a damaged pulley, many get damaged by the PO using a
screwdriver to install a new or other belt, thus putting a bend in the outer
edge of the pulley. This can cause the belt to take up that whipping motion
that will flip it out the belt.
     The correct belt is available at your Corvair parts vendor. Your local
parts house is not apt to have the correct belt in stock.
     You would be well to replace your steel fan with a magnesium fan that
first became available in '64. This one will be a direct replacement on your
'61 engine. '65 and later mag fans will not fit, they can be used if the
matching pulley, bearing and top crankcase cover are used.
      Rust in the groove of any of the pulleys will cause rapid wear of the
belt.

     Bob