[FC] electrical question...

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sat Sep 3 01:23:33 EDT 2005

At 08:34 PM 9/2/2005 -0400, Wild8bill at aol.com wrote:
>So, now I'm starting to drive around the 2-year project rampside (thanks for
>all the previous help!). I still get the "cutting out" at near full throttle
>(all gears), and I've noticed that my headlights flicker with the "pulse" of
>the engine. This doesn't go away when I give it more gas. Also, the turn
>signals
>blink once every second or two when on; a little faster when the rpms are
>higher. Is there any chance all these are related? Maybe I need some new
>wiring
>or alternator?
>
>thanks in advance.

Hi,
Troubleshooting electrical problems without a DVM is problematic.  You
likely will need to guess if you are getting close or what is happening.  I
recommend an inexpensive DVM.  Even a $4 one from Harbor Freight on sale is
better than nothing.  You will then KNOW if the battery voltage is OK when
not charging, how much the alternator is charging, and what the voltage is
along a long string of electrical connections.  I highly recommend
splurging and getting one and then practicing using it so you get more
practiced and confident.

You can take a pin and connect with a clip lead and pierce the insulation
to measure voltages on either side of a connector.  One approach is to turn
on the loads, like the headlights and heater and the pierce the insulation
of the positive voltage leads on either side of the connector.  One lead on
each side.  Then you are measuring the voltage drop across the
connector.  Anything more than a couple TENTHS of a volt is too
much.  Several volts indicates a REAL problem.

Larry