[FC] weird electrical problem

Garry Parsley geparsley at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 9 21:44:37 EDT 2006

Probably 95% of all "weird" 12 volt electrical problems are traced back to bad grounds. Check, inspect, and clean all grounds first. Since the large connector has already been bypassed, you might re-inspect those connections for looseness or corrosion. The battery cannot just change from negative to positive ground unless it has been fully drained and recharged backwards. I believe you definately have a ground issue. Of course, this is just my experience. Good Luck.

  Garry Parsley
  '65 Brier
  '62 Corvan

Wild8bill at aol.com wrote:
   Using my 12 volt tester, I found that the chassis actually becomes
POSITIVE when the power cuts out. disconnecting and reconnecting battery ground
cable reverses it so chassis is NEG. I don't know why it does this; bad battery?
The weird thing; the battery ground cable, that goes to the engine block but
still attached to the NEG battery terminal, will be POS, and touching the
tester directly to the NEG terminal will make the tester light go on! Before I
go buy a bunch of parts I don't need; does anyone know if I have a bad
battery, bad cables, poor grounding, or some kind of gremlin in the wiring harness?
(bypass already done on rear harness connector)