[FC] Tire sizes

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Apr 9 23:02:26 EDT 2006

Hello Dennis,

There has been a fair amount of analysis on the appropriate modern
replacement tire for FC's.  Without going into a lot of details and
explanation I might make the following comments and suggestions:

1) The stock tire size for all FC's was 7.00-14 4-ply (standard load) with
6-ply (load range C) and 8-ply (load range D) tires optional in several
combinations.  The Tire and Rim Association specified OD of these tires was
26.3" but the manufacturers' actual sizes varied somewhat.

2) Using our modern tire sizing system, the stock tire might be described
as P175/90B14, a size that does not exist.

3) The P205/75R14 is the most readily available substitute to the original
7.00-14 4-ply with respect to OD and load carrying capacity.  A closer
match may be had with the European 185R14 size also used on the VW Vanagon
(and available in load range C).  Many people have also used P195/75R14 or
P205/70R14 sizes, but these have a smaller in OD than stock and may be a
bit marginal for load carrying capacity depending on the vehicle use.

4) Pay attention to the tire manufacturers allowable rim width. Some
P205/75R14's specify a minimum 5.5" rim. The stock FC wheel is 14 X 5"

5) Consider upgrading to 15" wheels.  A safe bet is 15 X 6 GM RWD type
wheels with a 3.5" back spacing (always test fit to make sure).  There are
many tire options in the P205/70R15 and P215/65R15 sizes used on several
current minivans which match the OD of the 7.00-14.

6) I currently have P215/65R15 tires mounted on repro 15 X 6 Corvette rally
wheels on our '65 Greenbrier.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI 49930

--