[FC] What's in a name?

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Fri Aug 11 10:45:50 EDT 2006

When I first read this, my reaction was "don't feed the trolls."  It's a
standard property of internet discussions that someone will say something
inflammatory just to get a reaction.  Such people are called trolls in the
vernacular, and the only thing worth doing about them is to ignore them.

Then I reconsidered, and decided that maybe somebody accusing me of
"torturing data" maybe didn't mean it personally, despite a slam elsewhere
that we corvair people take our cars too seriously.

So I'll treat this as a legitimate rebuttal and address it as such.  My
apologies to everyone else if I'm feeding a troll--we'll know soon enough
one way or the other.

After doing some semantic analysis, I think what you're trying to say is:

The VW Type II was the first minivan because:

1) driving characteristics don't matter (bottom of para 2)
2) VW built passenger vans longer than GM did  and started earlier (top of
para 3)
3) GM's people-movers didn't do as well in the market as VWs (bottom of
para 3)

and a whole lot of unrelated emotional verbiage about how corvair people
have a martyr complex and are therefore hurting their own cause.

My reply:

OK, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  We'll use your
criteria.  If handling characteristics don't matter (and neither do a lot
of other things, given what you didn't mention in your rebuttal), and what
does matter is duration of production and continued demand for the product,
then we'll use that yardstick.

  Chrysler coined the "minivan" term as a product name.  They used it to
describe a front-engine vehicle using a powertrain from a car with an
oversize box body on the back to haul more people and/or stuff than a
conventional station wagon of the time could.  Notable features: at least a
1/2 ton load rating and seating for at least eight passengers.

By this definition, neither the VW nor the Greenbrier is even vaguely the
first production minivan.  The earliest one I know of is the 1935 Chevrolet
Suburban, but I suspect that there were similar production vehicles built
earlier - probably in Europe.  I don't know, for instance, when IHC started
building the Caryall.

Suburbans are still in production.  I'd say that trumps your 1949 - 1992
production range.
Suburbans are very popular and always have been.  More popular than the VW
type II? I don't know.  Possibly not, given that VW is still building the
second-generation bus in Brazil.

So who's torturing data now?

Disclaimer:  I've never owned a VW Type II. I've driven several, and
thought they were cool, but have never desired one.  I have owned, and
driven a VW type I.  There were some things I really liked about the car
(sturdy simplicity).  There were other things I really hated (cheesy finish
items, limited work space).  I always thought type IV were the best
air-cooled VW, even though they were unpopular.  I've owned a Greenbrier
since 1989 and have put about 100,000 miles on it.  Never owned, or wanted
a Suburban.

Oh, as for taking it too seriously or having a martyr complex: I like
corvairs.  I grew up with corvairs.  I own two.  Neither is a daily driver
anymore, although the 'brier does get driven an average of once a week in
summer (they salt here), usually to carry stuff.  Engineering advancement
has finally caught up with the car, after only 40 years.  Corvairs are a
hobby with a practical side.  They're fun.  They're not my life.  And yes,
I do have a life.