[FC] What's in a name?

Brewer bbrewer at texas.net
Sat Aug 12 13:35:54 EDT 2006

I guess Chrysler first used the term "Mini-Van" as it was smaller than other "Vans" available at that time. All other manufactures followed suit with different products to compete. Perhaps a true mini "Van" were the GM Astro/Safari and Ford Aerostar. They were a true version of a smaller conventional van, front engine, rear drive, full frame. As noted Chryslers version was more of a car with a "van" type body. So the Volkswagen also had car underpinnings and engine? I believe the Greenbrier had a 1/2 ton pickup type front axle but a wider Corvair car style rear axle. Also in the 60's Ford and Dodge had vans. All were "mini" by today's full size van standards. I feel the VW and FC are unique because of the rear air cooled engine and 4 wheel independent suspension. All are under powered by today's standards and handling is probably off too. The Greenbrier was marketed by Chevrolet as a "Sports Wagon" and my Texas registration says "Station Wagon". Call them what you want but enjoy them all.

B Brewer