[FC] Improving shifting on a 63 Greenbrier

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Sat Aug 12 15:05:36 EDT 2006

Well, I have to ask:

Do you not like how it shifts, or do you not like that it shifts
up-down-left-right as opposed to forward-back-left-right?

If it's just sloppy, changing bushings and clevis pins will get you a nice
tight shifter.  I think the early gooseneck shifter is entertaining and
funky, and it works just as well as any other truck stick-shift of the era.

If you want forward-back shifting, you can convert to the later FC shift
linkage, but it's a big pain.

For a greenbrier, if you want to stick with a four speed, you probably want
an early car four speed (3.65:1 first gear) along with either a 3.55:1 or,
if you have a strong (95 or 110 HP) engine, 3.27:1 rearend.

To make the shifter go away entirely, change to a powerglide.