[FC] Re: Corvan versus GreenbriEr and more

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Aug 25 00:05:50 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/24/2006 9:50:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
EconoUSAParts at aol.com writes:

<SNIP> .... Perhaps GM figured out their obvious production error  with that
8
door Corvair van option and corrected it ...  <SNIP>

Tim, Tim, Tim......
So, what you're saying is ALL van makers now have returned to the  production
error as far as the 8 door models are concerned? Chevy now makes a  full size
van with twin doors on both sides, and they are mirror images as the
GreenbriEr was... and all mini-vans have doors that slide to the rear... with  door
handles to the front... production error? Just what HAVE you been  smoking?
:-)
Just because someone does something different DOESN'T mean it's wrong...  VWs
also had a 3 door crew cab truck... before all the others... does it mean
Jeep was wrong in making an FC170 with 4 doors?

Silly, silly, silly.... I know I've seen an early VW bus with left side
extra doors (before they went to a slider, so it's pre-68 or so)... and I think
they were mirror doors too...

And then there's that whole engine placement thing.... just because it's in
the back and doesn't have a radiator, how can that be wrong? No more wrong
than  the Econolines with the engine between the seats... they don't put them
there  now... they've moved them forward a few feet so you don't have ANY leg
room...  although Toyota had a run of those vans with the engine between the
seats for  many years... a true pain in the butt to work on... so those were all
obvious  production errors???
;-)
Tim, for what it's worth, your perceived production error is a stroke of
genius to me... I think the left side doors on a Greenbrier are way cool!

As for window options, there was a Corvan in Dry Ridge in a junk yard that
had the rear side long windows, but no other windows past the front doors
(including the back doors... solid)... it was at the "school bus graveyard"  there
on 25 just before you hit the old part of town... way back by the RR
tracks... the guy had 3 vans, but only one had the strange window set up... I  don't
know if they're still there or not... someone told me the guy passed away  a
few years back... I can't remember his name... Skaggs? Scrogggins? I don't
know...

Any takers on your van yet? Just wondering...

Take care,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson  in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Derby City Corvair, Central Ky  Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly Editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg
1963  Greenbrier 110/4spd
1964 700 sedan 95/pg