[FC] Re: Corvan versus GreenbriEr and more

EconoUSAParts at aol.com EconoUSAParts at aol.com
Sat Aug 26 15:08:41 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/24/2006 9:50:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
LonzoVair at aol.com writes:

       So, what you're saying is ALL van makers now have returned to the
production
error as far as the 8 door models are concerned? Chevy now makes a  full size

van with twin doors on both sides, and they are mirror images as the
GreenbriEr was... and all mini-vans have doors that slide to the rear...
with  door
handles to the front... production error?

    Lon,now that a day or so has passed and your blood pressure has returned
to normal I ll address this. First off, mini vans cant even be considered
since their doors arent the same.  It would be extremely difficult for several
reasons to have them slide forward so they had to be different. Furthermore,Im
talking back then,not nowdays where money is abused and discarded like toilet
paper.
       Error?......maybe,I dunno. Perhaps "design oversight" may sound less
harsh and more appropriate to those "people of Corvair Passion" like yourself.
Have you ever seen it in print from Chevrolet claiming what a great feature it
was to support the fact that it was done on purpose as a design advantage
over ther competition? And if so,why didnt that feature carry on to the regular
line of Chevy and GMC 8 door vans from 64-66 and 67- 70? Were they cutting
costs? Correcting an oversight? Afterall,its the same manufacturer as the Vair.
       Im not arguing with you,Im just curious and Im one of those guys that
likes to know the details of all the early FC vehicles. Heck I cant argue now
that you posted that mushy Im sorry stuff. Dont worry,I wasnt offended. I
honestly laughed my butt off as I read it. I know you and how you luv the Vairs
which made it all the more comical to me.
       For the record,I wish all the 8 door vans had been made that way. It
is a good feature but overall costs definitely were  factors as evidenced by
the name Ford gave its van, "Econo" line....meaning the Economy line of trucks
and vans.

       Just because someone does something different DOESN'T mean it's
wrong...  VWs
also had a 3 door crew cab truck... before all the others... does it mean
Jeep was wrong in making an FC170 with 4 doors?
      I never said it was wrong and I dont think any of those designs are
wrong either. I was speaking purely from a monetary standpoint as far as
production costs.

Silly, silly, silly.... I know I've seen an early VW bus with left side
extra doors (before they went to a slider, so it's pre-68 or so)... and I
think
they were mirror doors too...

   A kid in Cincinnati has one of those that I see on occasion. I ll have to
look at it closer when I see it next time. New site member Randy Coburn who is
into the VW's may be able to answer that one for us.

And then there's that whole engine placement thing.... just because it's in
the back and doesn't have a radiator, how can that be wrong?
       Uhm,I give up. Who said it was? No argument here,it's just different.

         No more wrong than  the Econolines with the engine between the
seats... they don't put them
there  now... they've moved them forward a few feet so you don't have ANY leg

room...
       Now Lon,you know it's simply not true that Ford made anything wrong on
their vans:-) Ok,ok, like you ,Im a wee bit biased but in reality very open
to all the early vans and have owned at least one of all of them. A Chevy man
originally,Im really only into the Econolines due to Dad and Grandpa owning
them while I was growing up. As far as leg room,for the folks that havent met
you,you wouldnt be comfortable in stretch limo :-)  Folks, Lon towers over me and
Im 5'10". He is one big dude,not quite the harmless little fuzz ball he
claims to be:-)

Tim, for what it's worth, your perceived production error is a stroke of
genius to me... I think the left side doors on a Greenbrier are way cool!

       I totally agree they are "way cool" and wish the Fords were made that
way.

As for window options, there was a Corvan in Dry Ridge in a junk yard that
had the rear side long windows, but no other windows past the front doors
(including the back doors... solid)... it was at the "school bus graveyard"
there
on 25

       School bus graveyard did you say? I ll have to check that out since my
next years project has a school bus custom theme to it. Its gonna be
sweet,like no other I ve found on the net yet.

Any takers on your van yet? Just wondering...

       The wifes had me so busy rehabbing the house that I havent even had
time to list it yet. A few tire kickers via email but nothing serious. I guess I
better get on the stick before winter creeps up on me again.

       You clearly see the point I was trying to make... don't ya?
:-)
       Yep,I understand what you meant,no harm done.
      All's cool in van land

.
                                                       Tim in Ky
                                                Econo USA Parts
                                 Your used 61-67 Econoline parts source
                               Constantly parting out E100 vans and trucks
                                            A100 parts also available

                                                  Ebay Falcon1966