[FC] thoughts on drooping, I mean dropping seats...

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Dec 18 11:14:11 EST 2006

merv,
Pleasesee below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 12/17/2006 9:25:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
krupross at sunwave.net writes:

Did GM  ever use solid lifters?

Of course, but when hydraulics became common, GM switched and never looked
back. Some SBCs did use solids tho.

Would solid lifters work in a Corvair, provided the oil can  still go through
and to the rockers?

Work? Yes, but extremely noisy and not able to compensate for the huge
expansion rates of aluminum.  It's not a good idea for a Corvair  engine.

I know that there would be some tickety tick all the time, but  would it help
to keep the seats in place?
I don't see how.  Please explain how this would help. Valve seat are
retained by an interferrence fit in the alum.   This retention is  lost by heating
and cooling cycles.    What would solid lifters  do to help?