[FC] FC towbar

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 11:13:11 EST 2006

I think what Vic is looking for is a tow HITCH...
I've seen several types... the big one that bolts under the bumper (ala
Clark's), the old "one size fits all" that attaches to the rear bumper like a
clamp, the big "step bumper" that wraps around to the rear wheel openings, and of
course the homemade types that are made from different reese hitches... I even
have an old homemade one made out of angle iron, welded to form a teepee with
a ball at the apex, and it bolts to the frame channel under the engine... you
have to remove it to get the engine out, but other than that, seen like it
would work for towing a camper or small trailer...
I like the small clamp-on type for the front of the van so you can actually
see where you're putting the trailer or camper... looks a little silly,
though... but I've never been much of one to care what others think is silly or not.
;-)
Figure out what you plan to haul, weight wise, and then choose the
appropriate hitch... the reese hitch or anything that bolts to the frame will ALWAYS be
much safer that what attaches to the bumper.
If you chose to attach to the bumper, make sure ALL your bumper bolts and
mounting bolts to the frame are NOT RUSTED IN HALF.... been there, done that....
but thats par for the course here in KY, where salt is king... luckily,
there's been NO salt on the roads this winter here in my neck of the woods... very
mild, and was in the low 60s yesterday...
Well, I'm sure thats more info than what you wanted Vic... take care, and my
best to Momma.
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier 110/pg,
1963 Greenbrier 110/4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg