[FC] NEED COIL NUMBER INFO can you help?

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 30 09:49:44 EST 2006

Kent..... and others..  All the coils that I have seen only have a 3 digit number stamped in them.  The boxes that contained the coils would have the 7 digit GM part number.  The only real difference that I have ever seen in these NOS in the box coils was that the boxes varied in size and material.  I know that the Spyder used a higher voltage coil than the standard Corvairs for 1962 - 64.  Can't speak to the 65 - 66 since I never paid too much attention to the details of second generation Corvairs.  I don't ever remember seeing a date code on any GM coils.  As for the part number in the assembly manual, you really can't go by that number sometimes, because that number was only used internally for complete assemblies that were arriving from other assembly plants.  Case in point, is the early model rear axle and bearing assembly.  In all my years of hunting parts, I only came across one NOS axle with bearing installed on it in a dealership and the part number was one digit off from the actual axle.  My guess is that it was a assembly line part that was shipped when someone in the Dealership parts department made a order mistake and lessened the part number by one.  I do know that in the 1960's GM would ship part assemblies to dealerships if they ordered a part that such a number existed for it.  It wasn't listed in the parts book, but part number mistakes happened and GM shipped wrong parts.  That is one of the reasons that so many NOS parts are available today.... MISTAKES in the parts rooms that no one took the time to return.... Paul in CT.....