[FC] engine smoking at start up and -

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Jul 6 21:37:49 EDT 2006

Corvairs are notorious for smoking (blue oil smoke) when starting up;
especially if the engine is stopped tilted and the oil hot from an
extended run.  Oil gets trapped in a down hill barrel and seeps past
the rings.  As for oil consumption, my 1965 Corsa used a quart of oil
every 350 miles from the time I bought it in March of 1965, until I
rebuilt the engine in 1969.  I consider anything better than 500
miles per quart to be acceptable, but it really depends on oil
temperature and engine rpm.
Jim Davis