[FC] engine smoking at start up and -

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 22:10:24 EDT 2006

if it is really a valve guide you may be able to feel the play by grabbing
the spring near the keeper and see how much it moves up and down. i suspect an
intake valve guide / stem clearance problem. i have found a few over the
years  that were using too much oil for my liking that were loose enough to feel
movement by hand up and down. this is not a precision way to check but it
locates the problem at times. i once had a guide to head clearance  show up  as a
dry black spot inside the valve cover. it was a failed exhaust guide  leaking
combustion so bad it showed on the outside of the cover..
anyhow i would suggest heads to a good corvair shop. sometimes you can  spray
blaster or oil or anything at the intake valves (one at a time)with the
engine running and isolate the bad one or use propane enrichment (aiming unlit
torch at each intake spring as close to the head as you can with the engine
running, looking for change in rpm's) to find it.  these are some of my  backyard
methods i have used over the years...by no means the correct method  ..but
oh by the way , is the right hand air cleaner housing oily from pcv?
regards , tim colson