[FC] U-joints

Larry Forman Larry at Forman.net
Fri Jul 21 14:26:48 EDT 2006

At 10:59 AM 7/21/2006, Ben and Lynn Stiles wrote:
>Foks-
>
>Do the universal joints on the Greenbrier have a grease fitting?
>
>Mine (one or both?) click when cornering, and at other times. Do
>they need lubed?
>
>Ben

Hi Ben,
The DID and now they need replacement.  The replacement U-joints do
have grease fittings.  I am not sure about the originals, but you
should replace any originals after all this time anyway.

The clicking sound is likely some destroyed rollers so replacement is
called for.  You could try lubing them, but I suspect it would be a
waste of time.

While you are replacing them, consider lubing the axle bearings
too.  Complete lubing instructions are in the CORSA Tech Guide.

The FC axle bearings are quite expensive.  Lubing them makes
sense.  Also check the axle yokes for any rotational play indicating
the internal axle yoke splines are going away.  The inboard rollers
can be inspected and replaced if you disassemble another axle for
spare parts.  The outboard rollers can only be accessed for a trashed
axle for spare rollers.  I find less than 30% of the rollers are in
great shape.  About 10-20% are pretty bad for most axles by this time.

I JUST replaced my driver's side axle yoke since I noticed too much
rotational slop when tightening the brakes.  In checking where the
slop originated, it was in the axle to axle yoke interface.  I had
about 10 percent(!) of the spline remaining, so it was quite close to
failing.  I recommend carrying a spare axle yoke and puller just in
case for most trips.  A spare axle with lubed bearing and the puller
for longer trips.

In thinking about this, it might make sense to paint some lines
between the axle and axle yoke.  That way, if there is any rotation
slop it would show up as a crack in the paint line and maybe even an
offset as they rotate relative to each other.

Good luck,

Larry