[FC] back to basics...oil drip

Ben's Bus bensbus at paonline.com
Thu Jun 8 20:22:44 EDT 2006

Hello all-

This one takes us back to the basics. I had an oil change done on the recently installed, mostly rebuilt engine in the van. When I got it back from the shop (RP Corvairs, Mountville, PA), it had an oil dripping problem. One place was one of the back corner oil pan bolts, and more severely up at the drain plug bolt.

I retorqued the back bolt. That one is good. I tightened the oil pan plug as well. It is still leaking. A pretty good drip is created that will leave a 2 inch puddle in one night. So, my question, which I think I already have the answer to, is does the drain plug have a plastic seal on it to keep it from leaking? Supposing that seal were bad, would it leak as mine currently does?

I know it is basic...and I do get my hands dirty with oil changes. The reason RP Corvair did this one was that the van was in for a 1500 mile check up on the new engine.

Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, etc.

Ben (Looking forward to Buffalo!)