[FC] help needed: how to polish aluminum

Merv Krull krupross at sunwave.net
Wed Jun 14 00:19:08 EDT 2006

Hi folks!

After doing battle with the front grille of my GB, I decided I need help. I had very good luck a few years ago removing paint and mighty fierce undercoat and then polishing an aluminum sun visor for my 53 GMC, but the GB has me pretty stumped.

I tried going straight to McGuires all metal polish, but got got weird variations from dull grey to extremely shiney spots.

Realizing that I had gone through the anodizing layer, I figured on removing the rest with aluminum rouge and a buffer wheel. No luck... just weirder and weirder. The super shiney spots were getting bigger though.

I tried hitting it with 400 sandpaper. Shiney spots got a bit bigger again when I buffed it up.

But this is going to take forever at this rate.

I googled how to polish aluminum and most suggested to eat the anodizing off with Easy Off, then hit it with 400 and 600 and even 1200, then buff with white rouge.

What are your thoughts?

Will Easy Off also remove the paint?

toodles
Merv Krull