[FC] Rampside tire pressures

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Mar 5 11:34:37 EST 2006

      Load depends on the air volume a particular tire can
hold.  Remember it is the volume of air in the tire that holds the
vehicle up not the tire itself.  "P" series passenger tires are
usually carry their rated load at 36 psi.  What you need to do is to
calculate the air pressure needed for your vehicle load.
       I will assume Rampsides are loaded at 50% front and rear and
side to side.  For a Rampside that list at 2,800 lbs wet and add 200
for driver and 200 for passenger in the front, we come up with 1800
on the front and 1400 on the rear; so, I will use 900 on the front
and 700 on the rear in the example.  The tire example is a P195/75-14
which is rated at 1400 lbs at 36 psi.  In the front tires, we need a
minimum of 900/1400 of the rated air pressure or 23.14 psi.  Always
round up so that is 24 for the front.  In the rear, the air pressure
would be 700/1400 of 36 psi or 18 psi.  These air pressures will give
the best ride, tire wear, and are consistent with tire manufacture's
recommendations for radial tires. Since the Rampside rear tires are
mounted on a swing axle suspension, I think it would prudent to add
air to a 24 psi.  This will effect handling by increasing the spring
rate of the tires and resulting in a choppier ride but more straight
line stability.  The lower air pressure in the rear tires will allow
more sidewall compliance giving better traction in marginal conditions.
      My Rampside weighs 880 LF,  760 RF,  700 LR, and 720 RR.  That
is with only me aboard.  (The truck has a gasoline heater, anti-roll
bars, and is air conditioned.)  With LT225/70-15 tires rated at 1764
lbs at 44 psi, I run 26 psi front and 24 psi in the rear.  I pump up
the tires to 32 psi all around when I load the truck heavily.
Jim Davis