[FC] timepiece

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 9 15:41:08 EST 2006

GMC also made one, that was identical to the Corvair clock, except that it had a second hand.  I have also found this clock in some NOS Corvair boxes.  The clocks were made by Borg-Warner, and I believe that they packed the boxes with whatever inventory that was available at the time of shipment. There are a few variations to the Corvair clock.  One has the base attached to the front bezel and the other has the base as a separate unit.  There are also two different versions of the separate base, because of the two different angles of the dashes between the cars and trucks.  There is also the trim piece that comes in the box with some clocks that is for cars with padded dashes.  The one thing that kills all the clocks is that when the battery voltage starts to get low, there isn't sufficient current to charge the coil and break the point contact.  When this happens, the points will sometimes become welded shut, or the thin wire that goes to the points will burn through as a safety mechanism.  They are repairable in this case by soldering in another wire of the same type, gauge, and quality.
If you want to purchase a NOS Clock, contact me off list and we can discuss it.  As you already know, they are not cheap.  Paul in CT
noahsarkinc @ earthlink.net  (please remove spaces)