[FC] Suggestions time fer KISS mode

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 15 04:48:22 EST 2006

Hey Tim,  Did you send that public or private?  It came the public route.

The "originator" on FC emails is always Corvanatics - no matter WHO the REAL
originator happens to be.  This is what causes Reply (intended private) to
go public (like a Reply All).

In Outlook and Outlook Express (comes with Windows and most people use it)
you have to pick between Reply and Reply All.  FC is set up so that Reply
gives the SAME RESULT that Reply All gives - it goes Back to Corvanatics for
broadcast to everyone in the group.  VV is set up (the NORMAL way) so that
Reply goes only to the individual who sent the mail to the group and Reply
All goes to the group.

In "normal" mode - the way VV does it, when Reply All is used, the message
will arrive twice to the intended recipient - one direct and one by way of
the mail replicator.  That can be avoided if time is taken to remove the
first sender's address from the To: line, but most everyone forgets (or is
not aware) to do that.

On FC - if you send what you think is private and a copy ends up in your
mail box from FC.... guess what...   It was NOT so private as you thought it
would be.  Everyone subscribed to FC saw it - including you.  The intended
recipient only saw it one though... at the same time everyone else did!  A
private message does not bounce back to the sender like that.

Yes, it IS possible to dig the sender's address out of the email by going
into properties (right click) and digging down below - into details and so
on - like a couple of levels down and reading through all the trash there to
find the address.  At that point, it can be copied and then pasted into the
reply To: line and will become private.  But, it is sort of like changing
out the O rings on a Corvair every time you want to check the oil.

Folks who are on both VV and FC sometimes forget (me included) that Reply
will go to everyone.  This can possibly lead to some embarrassing moments
(and has in the past).

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140 (times 2)