[FC] Rear Door Handle

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 16:59:45 EST 2006

Once you know how to re key locks, it is easy.  Getting past the learning curve is the hard part.  Even if you decide to do it yourself, you have to acquire the proper sized tumblers, new springs, and retainer.  Most locksmiths will charge you about $10 - $20 to do this service, since it is easy work for them.  You should first take out the ignition lock cylinder to get the key number.  You do this by putting the key into the lock and turning to the extreme left.  Then you insert a paper clip end into the small round opening on the lock cylinder face and keep turning to the left till the lock pops out.  On the side of the ignition cylinder lock, there is a 4 digit number.  This is the key number for the cylinder.  With this key number, a locksmith can translate it into the height of the tumblers that are needed to rekey the door lock.  You don't want to gamble on a used key being used, because the differences in height of the tumblers is very close and a used key might just be worn enough to give a false reading.  Have the locksmith cut you a new key by number at the same time you have the lock keyed and always use this key for any duplicate keys that are cut on a key cutting machine.  If you have a car that doesn't have a key, sometimes you can get the key number from the glove compartment lock or the door lock cylinder.  Since the locking portion of the FC door lock mechanism is also part of the door lock itself, I can't say for certain that there is a number to be had on the handle itself.  I have never taken a FC door handle apart to see how it is keyed... Paul in CT.