[FC] Shift tube R&R

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 21:32:51 EST 2006

I don't know of a single universally-performed procedure.  Stuff I've
seen or heard of being done:

1) drill the two holes in the tube oversize.  Then drill the shift bar
in the trans oversize to match.  Use a hard steel long-shanked bolt
suitably modified as your clevis pin.

2) there's a procedure involving sleeving the shift bar back to stock
after drilling oversize with brass tubing stock.  This provides a large
bearing surface for the shift bar.  You could do something similar with
the shift tube as well.

3) I'd probably braze the holes up if I wanted to go back with the stock
pin.  A brazed surface is a natural bearing surface--corrosion resistant
too.  You generally want a hard metal in contact with a soft metal for
sliding bearings, and bronze, while hard, is softer than a grade 5
bolt.  Braze and then drill back to stock size.  Mapp gas is sufficient
if your propane torch isn't up to the job.