[FC] FC Brake Pedal Travel

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 7 13:50:33 EDT 2006

Geoff,

  I have run into this a couple times with my FCs. Everytime it was air in the system or the shoes not adjusted properly. If your push rod really is two inches from contacting the master cylinder, you have the wrong master cylinder. If you are using a dual circuit master cylinder, it is most likely shoe adjustment.

  Good Luck,
  Bill Wells
  61Ramp
  62Brier

Geoffrey A Johnson <geoffj at unm.edu> wrote:
  Trying to get the brakes perfect on my friends
beautiful '62 Greenbrier.

We have put in new everything. Shoes, springs, master cylinder, drums. We
have also added new automatic adjusters.

So the pedal travel is still pretty far. It brakes nicely otherwise. So I
reached under, and can move the pedal a long way ( 2 inches? ) by hand
before it engages the cylinder.

I am wondering, how can this slack me taken out? It appears the push rod
is to short as is. Like in a car it can be adjusted, but on this I do not
see an adjustment. I am wondering if it has to do with the hole in the
piston for the MC, and how deep it goes vs stock. Ran into this at one
point with my Buick.

How can we raise the pedal?

Any hints greatly appreciated.

-Geoff Johnson