[FC] Backup Lights

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 30 19:06:12 EDT 2006

I've seen "installed" backups on FCs at conventions and such - but I don't
think any of the ones I noted were factory.  I'm NOT an authority on that,
just relaying observations.  Perhaps there was a "dealer install" kit.
Don't know.  Most I've seen are mounted on the bumper - either above or
below, but I've seen them mounted in the body as well - usually a car BU
lens.  I don't really care for the look of that installation.

Always thought they could go where the reflectors - which most don't have -
would go.  But, that would mean hacking into the sheet metal, so I'm a bit
reluctant to do such.

I DO note that the book shows a fuse for BU - the same one as the heater.
BUT, I don't see any lights pictured or wiring diagrams for BUs, so - just
part of the mystery to me.  The diagram comes with the "dealer install"
package???  Again, don't know.

Lately, I've been toying with the idea of mounting a BRIGHT one on the rear
rain gutter of the cab (a Rampside) and wiring it to the dome light which
only goes on by turning the light switch full left.  This is a Standard
model - so does not have switches in the door posts.  This could illuminate
the bed as well as be a warning that I'm backing.  It would have to be
bright enough to overcome any reflection on the rear window which might be
caused by the interior light.  Still thinking this one over and have not
gone out to look for what parts might be available.

Later, JR