[FC] Gen Fan

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 13:08:51 EDT 2007

? The first thing you need to look at is to make sure the fan belt is still on. You need to immediately

 stop driving and check!
??? There are only two things that generally go wrong with the system and that is the generator it's self and the regulator. You can test the generator by removing the field wire and then applying 12 volts temporarily to the field terminal of the generator marked "F". When you do this, if the generator is working, the engine speed will drop noticeably. Only do this for a few seconds and ONLY touch the generator terminal, not the field wire.
??? If the engine slows down when you touch the 12v. to the field terminal of the generator then the problem would be with the regulator. If it does not slow down then the problem is with the generator. ?

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com