[FC] 'First small pickups?

Steve Turner karknut61 at msn.com
Thu Jan 25 20:09:53 EST 2007

Hello gang;  I know that they may not be the same animal, but Crosley
produced 'small' pickups in the 40's!!  According to my Standard Catalog of
American Light Duty Trucks reference book, Ford made Falcon based Ranchero
pickups in 1960 and a Econoline van, also based on the Falcon chassis in
1961.  They also show a Econoline pickup in 1961.  It looks like Dodge
didn't enter the picture with a similar sized pickup until 1964 with the
A-100.  Crosley first used the term pickup delivery in 1941.  Then there
were also the Hudson Terraplane Utility Coupes (1937) with the pickup bed
coming out of the trunk and the Studebaker Coupe-Express also from 1937.
But as far as I am able to tell, snubnosed pickups were introduced by both
Chevrolet (our own Rampside/Loadside) and Ford in 1961.  Steve