<VV> Re: [FC] [VV] Harmonic balancers....

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun Jul 1 11:54:39 EDT 2007

As the resonance frequency of the crankshaft changes, so should the
harmonic damper.  Following that analogy, the main change in
crankshafts that cause a change frequency are: type of material,
material structure, throw length, and mass; so crankshaft having the
same qualities should be able to use the same harmonic
damper.  Remember the damper's outer ring is tuned to oscillate in
opposition to the crank rotation at one and only one frequency.   The
mass of the outer ring and the elasticity of the bonding material are
critical in determining that frequency.  Lon mentioned hp (torque) in
the damper equation. The amount of torque does not change the
frequency but more torque does increase the rotational vibration's
peak number. It this case one size does not fit all.
Jim Davis