[FC] Oil filter adapter

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Sat Jun 23 21:23:44 EDT 2007

Hello-

I installed one of Underground's oil filter adapters. This allows one to install regular, spin-on, readily available oil filters at lower cost. I followed the instructions except for the one encouraging me to remove the alternator bracket to check to make sure the upper surface of the oil filter mount is true and smooth, etc. I have never had trouble with any "regular" filters (PF4, PH4, Clark's, etc.) leaking, so I wasn't too worried.

Well, it leaks like a sieve around the upper gasket. I properly put on silicone gasket material and bolted everything up tight. I now wonder if I didn't use enough sealant or if I really have a warped bracket or what?

Does anyone have one of these installed? If so, have you ever had any trouble with it? I also could not find the recommended PH2835 oil filter, supposedly for a Saturn, so I picked the PH 3614 which was actually listed for almost every Saturn in the cross reference book.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Ben