[FC] Battery tray collapse aftermath

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Thu Mar 8 20:55:42 EST 2007

For future reference of anyone that this might happen to:

After the battery tray gave way and the POS post came in contact with the
chassis (for over an hour), here were the resulting problems:

1. the battery tray needed repair.
2. the accelerator and clutch cable both got fried, literally
3. no damage to the battery, no leaks and it holds a charge
4. no other apparent damage

I had to fabricate an accelerator cable; only the rear 4' had damage to the
inner plastic sheath, so I used a 1/4" drip irrigation hose as a liner and the
 metal sheathing from shielded electrical wire to graft on and replace the
burned  section, that way I could still use the front attachments; it actually
turned  out very nice. Luckily I had a spare clutch cable; I didn't see the
actual  burned part, but I can assume it was the same as the accelerator cable.
The  whole vehicle must have become electrified, with the NEG cable leading to
the  engine block, and the block being largely insulated by the mounting
blocks from  the chassis, the POS current went through the chassis and anything
caught  in-between acted as a filament. The less massive pieces, the cables,
became hot  enough to melt and ignite the plastic or rubber.

I wasn't driving it at the time, otherwise I would have disconnected the
battery cables. My girlfriend said there was smoke coming out from underneath it
(the cables), but she didn't see any flames to use the extinguisher  on.

Bill
61 rampside
63 greenbrier
http://www.aol.com.