[FC] Tranny fluid

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 23:24:26 EDT 2007

Thats not quite specific enough...... but "may" be correct for that van

  From the 61 service manual

  61 Trans - 1.9 pints
  61 Diff - 3.1 pints

  From 62 -63 supplement

  62-63 3 speed trans -3 pints
  62-63 4 speed trans -3.75 pints

  62 Diff -3.1 pints
  63 Diff -4.5 pints

  I just rebuilt my transaxle. 61-63 car 4 speed and 64 diff.  Both units were bone dry. I filled them at ride height.  It took a full 4 quarts to fill just under the bottom of the fill holes. That's 8 pints.  My math says it should have taken 8.25 pints.   It it desirable to fill them to about 1/8" under the fill holes.  This makes it a little easier for the axle seals and input shaft seal to do thier jobs. Overfilling CAN cause a greasy clutch.

  I can understand the 3 and 4 speed being different capacities.  The 61 manual does not differentiate between 3 and 4 speed capacities.  I would think the 61 4 speed would be the same as 62-63.  I have no idea why a 61-62 differential capacity would be different than a 63-64.  I assume a 64 is the same as 63 because of how much I had to put in my transaxle. If you only drained them and did not disassemble them the amount to fill would be less.

  But forget the math.  Just fill each to the bottom edge of the fill holes or just under them. Use high quality gear oil.  If you have the transaxle sealed up well it will be in there for a long time.

  Regards,
  Andrew Sego

Merv Krull <krupross at sunwave.net> wrote:
  1.9 pints for the tranny and 3.1 pints for the transaxle of Castrol Syntec
70-90 gear lube...:-)
toodles
Merv Krull
Salmon Arm, BC