[FC] Odometer

Geoffrey Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Tue Apr 1 13:00:46 EDT 2008

Keith,
Usually a bouncing speedo is inadequate lube on the cable or dust in the
magnet/drum assembly.   Also on units that sit for a long time it tends to
take a slight magnetic set to the drum so it will bounce alot for a while.

The worm gear for the odo may be stripped.    If you are daring, they are
not hard at all to take apart.   Take the dash out and remove the speedo
from the dash.   The needle can be removed by carefully lifting it up off
the shaft.   I slide a table fork all the way around the base and use that
to lift as that will support it on three sides to pry it off and usually
wont break it.  Then two small screws remove the face.

It is kinda trial and error but nothing too bad.

Hope that helps,
Geoff