[FC] Odometer update & PG shift cable

vair65 at netzero.net vair65 at netzero.net
Thu Apr 17 22:40:52 EDT 2008

Group,
While looking into the PG shift cable, I took the dash out to check the lever and make sure nothing was bent.  More on that later.  The odometer is working all the way up to the numbers.  The gear on the tenths is missing its teeth on the nine.  Looks like I will need to find one.
With that solved I was back to looking into the  PG shift cable.  It has been slowly getting worse.  This morning it would hardly move and when it did I almost couldn't get it into reverse.  So this made me look into what was going on.  Once I had the dash out I discovered that the defroster duct was hanging down into the shift lever mechinism.  Hoping for the best I removed the duct, and tried the lever.  No luck.  I then removed the cable from the lever and tried the lever.  It moved very smoothly so at least it is not there.  It looks like either the cable is bad or something in the transmission is blocking movement.  I will remove the cable at the transmission and see how easy it is to move the cable with nothing hooked up to it.  Question is how easy should it move?  Is there enough resistance that I will not be able to move the cable in the casing with my fingers?
Thanks,
Keith Hammett
'62 Rampside in Group Red again :(