[FC] Hot August Nights

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 12:39:01 EDT 2008

We went to Reno on Thursday to look at the cars and visit my family who  came
down from Oregon. We spent most of the day at the auction in the convention
center, because it's indoors and air conditioned! There was a decent white
with  red stripe Rampside due to be auctioned that day, but we didn't stay to
watch.  It had been mildly modified, with custom interior door panels and a foam
headliner that also covered the back wall. They had somehow fit a rear slider
 window in the factory cutout, it was obviously a window from something else,
and  the rubber molding covered it in unequal amounts, showing that the
aluminum  window fin had been cut back in some places to allow it to fit.  It had
spyder gauges, and the spare was mounted on the bed instead of inside. It also
 had something interesting, it had side pipes! I thought they might have been
 just decorative, but crawling around underneath it I saw that they were
indeed  connected via custom pipes to the exhaust. The exhaust went forward and
did a  180 near the cab and connected to the side pipes; dual exhaust. The
engine  appeared to be a 140 car motor, and it had the finned oil pan and valve
covers.  It also had some type of car hood hinges mounted to the engine lid,
similar to  the type on the trunk of a Corvair car. These lifted and articulated
the lid,  allowing it to stay open without a prop stick. The attachment of the
hinges was  very well done, I didn't see any hasty modifications or shims of
any kind.

The other location we browsed was the lot at the old Hilton, where my
brother displays his 69 Nova SS 396 on the ramp. There were two Vairs, a 64  Monza
coupe and a 66 Corsa. Both were fine drivers.

Bill
61 rampy 63 greenbrier 63 monza vert
richmond, ca

Read reviews on AOL Autos.