[FC] unusual block?? ID help?

Bruce Gwyther vairman at q.com
Mon Aug 18 14:52:31 EDT 2008

    I believe that you have a '64 block that some one has used with a bunch
of other parts.  Sometimes the factory did drill out the fill hole casting
and then plug it (usually with a freeze type plug).  I have a 1963 motor
that was in a Monza coupe that I purchased (in 1985)from the original owner
that was set up as an FC motor and then put in the "63 Monza from the
factory!!  The owner thought the motor was bad but it was only a bad
flywheel.  It has the place for the FC filltube and also has 102 cyl heads
with exhaust valve rotators. Probably the best 'Vair engine I have EVER had.
I used it in the '63 then put it in my '61 rampside. It currently has
365,000 documented miles on it but it broke a piston (#5).  It has never
been apart except tthe blower cover to see down into it. It was resealed
only once and much of the miles were up against a 3.89 diferential.
    The factory did a lot of strange things during the change in engine
design from late '63 to ''65.  One of these days I'll pull the head off the
'63 motor, check out the head, put a new piston (& probably cyl jug) and
then see how much longer it will last

                    Bruce Gwyther                                '65Corsa
convert, '65 4dr monza, '61 lakewood, '63 limo (two 'briers connected)
                    Clinton, Utah                                  '62
Rampside, '61 Rampside,  '62 Corvan, two '65 6dr 'Briers  '65 8dr deluxe
'Brier
                    vairman at q.com