[FC] Mod for FC Fuel Filler Cap

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 23 18:13:21 EDT 2008

>no matter how new or costly--have allowed fuel to slosh ...

This is a common failure of Modern Man,  expecting products to work
simply because they are new or costly.

Sometimes plain, old, cheap, and functional are what is needed.

I worked on cars professionally that were mostly from the points
ignition era, you know, points and condenser -- I probably saw more
actual condenser failures with brand new out of the box condensers than
with old used ones -- the used ones were old & used simply because they
worked. And once you found one that matched your coil exactly, you kept
it and just changed points.

During the fuel shortage years of the 70's, I bought a locking gas cap
for my FC 95 -- it locked and it leaked and since locking was the more
important thing in those days, I lived with it -- iirc, the old original
cap didn't seem to leak just 'cause you sloshed fuel around with a full
tank, but yes I would agree that it is a problem.  Remember, these are
vented caps, so they will leak through the vent when sufficiently
challenged. A modern "sealed" cap will require a vent system, ala the
charcoal gas canister evap emissions device, along with a matching
manifold vacuum port and related engine tuning.

Bill Strickland