[FC] Engine lid

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 11:12:26 EST 2008

One thing missing in all this engine lid talk is the fact that if you
hinge the lid at the front, it won't open without hitting the spare
tire.  Since you hardly ever use a spare tire, I recommend a GM space
saver spare that is skinnier than stock.  Maybe a good solution is hinge
the front of the lid and use one of those utility truck box locks to
latch the back of the lid down.  I'm guilty of just leaving all the
screws out and letting the lid's own weight hold it down.  I never liked
the dipstick out the back access door so I always put a car filler tube
on my FC's so you can easily pour oil down the vertical tube.
Clark Hartzel