[FC] Oil Pan Leak Woes

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 00:59:38 EDT 2008

 ??? First off you need to see where the oil is coming from. Clean the are very well so it is dry using some kind of cleaner. Brake clean comes to mind. Once the area is clean and dry start the engine and see where the oil starts to come from. You will need a light and be under the FC while it is running so you can see the start of the oil rather than the aftermath.

??? If the oil seems to come from farther up that you can determine then you know where you are headed.

??? Now, that being said, I have seen the bell housing gasket leak and come down the side of the engine, and the reason the gasket was leaking was the bell housing bolts were loose.

??? If the crank seal was leaking you would be seeing oil come out of the bell housing hole on the bottom.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com