[FC] Bad Cluth Cable?

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 13 17:35:05 EDT 2008

  I've got a 61 Rampside that's giving me clutch trouble. I suspect the cable must be failing. I went underneath and tried to take every bit of play out of the cable. I would say I even had a little preload. Even with the cable this tight after about a dozen shifts from 1st to reverse and back in the driveway (it actually seemed ok) I let it idle a while and then tried to put it in 1st gear. It wouldn't go. I noticed then that the clutch pedal was not coming back up all the way and the first part of pedal travel does nothing. Would you say my cable is stretching (for lack of a better word)?  Would a new cable fix this issue?
    I believe this is unrelated but I noticed even in neutral when I let the clutch out the truck moves ever so slightly forward initially and the rpm dropped slightly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

  Greg
  Dearborn, MI