[FC] Luggage rack

Ben's Bus bensbus at verizon.net
Sun May 25 18:08:20 EDT 2008

Kevin:

I was fortunate and crazy enough to find and install a camper top onto Ben's
Bus. My awning is mounted directly to the camper top. The split luggage
rack, as I said, is gutter mounted and is easily removable.

Instead of buying a whole ladder rack, unless you really intend to haul
ladders often, I would recommend getting gutter mounts for an awning as
listed in both of the following websites. The VW crowd uses these if they do
not have a camper top or don't want to mount something permanently. The
concept could also be used and fabricated from some sheet metal by someone
with metal working know-how.

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/lbfreedomiiivanadapterbrackets.html

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4996134&showprevnext=1
 55-114 VW Bus & Vanagon Mounting Brackets (2 piece set) $77.95

Additionally, THULE racks has some excellent alternatives for what you have
in mind. These multi-functional racks are powder coated black and look as
stout and utilitarian as you could want. I have a THULE bike rack and love
it. There are a bunch of gutter mount options listed on the website below:

http://www.thuleracks.com/carrier_multipurpose2.asp?location=1

As a final option, I have a pair of Barrecraft ski racks, vintage 1960's. I
bought these at an antique store years and years ago before the camper top
and awning I have now. I had intended these to be used for a removable
awning system just like the one you are considering. These racks are fully
width adjustable for almost any vehicle with roof gutters. I never intend to
own skis and these are now in the way. If you are interested in some vintage
racks that could serve your awning mounting purposes, give me a shout
off-list.

I hope this helps. Happy hunting...and don't be afraid to be creative!

Ben