[FC] "Best practices" engine lid hinges/support

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 2 01:34:31 EST 2008

Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Thanks for your positive "sweet" comments.

Here is the story.

I bought the Rampy about 10 years ago out of (near) St. Louis MO (where all Rampys were built - so far as I know).  I was not happy with the rust in a couple of (relatively minor) places.  I believe that (memory play tricks sometimes) the engine cover was already set up to be lifted from the rear.

After I had it for at least a year - probably 18 months - I sent it off - over the winter - to a local body guy who had done Corvairs since they were new.  Along with it, I sent (what I would call) a "piano hinge" to install so that I could fold the engine cover portion ALL the way back and become flat with the frontal portion (where the heater box is) of the rear floor.  I wanted a hinge which would not intrude on the upper side of the floor.  THAT was important to me.

Several months later I got the truck back, along with the hinge I had provided.  The hinges that you see in the pictures are what he welded in rather than what I thought I wanted.  These hinges only allow the lid to be lifted to just past a 90 degree angle.  At first I was disappointed with this approach, but have learned to live with it and now see no real need to have the lid to be capable of going to the 180 degree position.

So, I can't really say what specific hinges were used - probably something from a hardware store - but I can say that I've been VERY happy with the results.  There is no real need to have the engine cover lay flat when lifted forward and Frank apparently knew that.

The body guy?  Frank Regal in Illinois.  Email is:   fregal at comcast.net

I cannot say if he is currently accepting new business.  You will need to contact him directly.  I have absolutely no vested interest in providing this information.

Later, JR