[FC] Repairing Fuel Pumps

Scott & Cyndi Wilson scwilson8126 at wowway.com
Thu Nov 6 17:43:50 EST 2008

Hello All;

I have had a couple of fuel pumps fail lately.  They did not stop pumping gas, but started leaking from the 5 O'clock position (vent?) into the engine compartment.

One is a very old pump and the other was bought from a local auto parts store 3-4 yrs. ago.  I'm guessing that the newer pump could be one from the defective batch from a few years ago.

I bought two new pumps from a corvair vendor that I know are good.

What causes these leaks and can I repair them in order to use the old pumps as spares in case I break down on the road?
I was thinking of re-assembling the pumps using some kind of permatex or silicone sealer between the gaskets.

I'm surprised that nobody sells any kind of re-build kit for these since new/rebuilt pumps are getting pretty expensive.

Thanks,

Scott Wilson