[FC] FC speedo help

Fred Darvill finstall at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:11:50 EDT 2008

    --Forwarded Message Attachment--From: finstall at hotmail.comTo: vairmech at aol.com; corvanitics at corvair.orgSubject: RE: FC speedometerDate: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:00:42 -0700

Ken,Oh no, you did get me wrong.  I think Lew is a great guy and I said I appreciated his work as it freed up the frozen speedometer.  There is nothing wrong with his work at all, he could not have forseen this.  I am trying to solve the mystery and get some trouble shooting done before it goes back to Lew.  Lew and I talked before my post and I did his suggested tests, such as the finger spin and cable/trans gear check.  I just wanted to see if I could get a clue to the problem for Lew, I was not name dropping to disparage his name at all.   I seem to have determined that something binds in it when the cable is inserted with the help and suggestions of my fellow FC friends.  I have nothing bad to say about Lew or his work.  I named Lew because you all know him and that makes the story more credible with his name in rather than an anonymous shop that nobody knows and noting his work would keep me from getting referals to Lew since that is where the work was done.  He has, even before the post offered to have another look. Yes, the problem is repeatable whith the speedo out of the cluster and with a cable end inserted.  The fellow who talked of "binding" when he reinstalled helped me determine something was doing just that even though it wasn't the needle on the case so now I have something useful to describe to tell Lew, thanks to Corvanatics-as it ought to be!  Sincerely, Fred Darvill > To: finstall at hotmail.com> Subject: FC speedometer> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:52:17 -0400> From: vairmech at aol.com> > Fred,> > Have you contacted Lew about this? I think that should be the first > place to start instead of on Corvanatics. Or instead of using names in > the post leave them out, like," I sent my speedo out for repair and now > it does this". Lew is a good guy and if there is something wrong that > he did I am sure he will take care of it. The way the post is written, > it sort of looks like you are saying that Lew did a bad job and now you > need to come to the group and tell all, that is where leaving the names > out makes a difference.> > It sounds like you have answered your own question, really. The > backup unit works, the repaired one doesn't. That is a real finger > pointer to the repaired unit. Have you looked to see if something is in > the drive hole? Like a broken piece of cable? Can you push on the drive > stem and repeat the problem out of the car? If not then contact Lew and > see what he has to say. If you then have a problem with Lew let me know > and I will, to the best of my ability, help you with the problem.> > Keep in mind that I will hear both sides of the story before I do > anything, IF that is needed.> > I do hope I am wrong in interpreting what you were trying to say and > you were just asking for help.> > Ken Hand> Prez of Corvanatics> 248-613-8586> www.corvairmechanic.com> > > -----Original Message-----> From: Fred Darvill <finstall at hotmail.com>> To: corvanatics at corvair.org> Sent: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 9:25 pm> Subject: [FC] FC speedometer> > > > > > > > > > > > Here's the story: I bought a rampside with a broken speedometer cable. > When I> went to change the cable I found that the reason it broke was the > speedometer> was frozen up. I sent the speedometer to Lew Rischel who did a great > job of> cleaning and freeing up the unit. But when installed it doesn't work. > As soon> as I remove it from the cable housing it works again with a finger > spin. I have> checked the gear in the tranny-fine. The speedometer works fine with a > finger> spin until installed-then is either does nothing or goes up to 15-25 > mhp and> hangs, then doesn't return to zero when I stop. Remove it again-it > tests fine> with a finger spin. I have determined that as soon as the cable is > inserted in> the speedometer it just quits, and that is not even threading on the > cable, all> I have to do is insert the cable and it quits like the drive > disconnects> somehow. Anybody have an idea? I put a backup unit in the guage > housing and it> works fine. Since I paid a good sum for rep> airs I would like to use the freshly rebuilt one from Lew. Fred > Darvill> _________________________________________________________________> Store, manage and share up to 5GB with Windows Live SkyDrive.> http://skydrive.live.com/welcome.aspx?provision=1?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_102008> _______________________________________________> Corvanatics mailing list> Corvanatics at corvair.org> http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/listinfo/corvanatics> This list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, > http://www.corvair.org/> > > > >

You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC. See how