[FC] Oil additive??

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 00:10:57 EDT 2008

???? I had a chance to scan through the article and there are some things that I do not agree with and then there are other things that are to technical for the average person to care about and? I also think there is some very out of date info in the article. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good article and very informative, but read the next paragraph.

??? Please see my previous answer about the oils, 10W-40 should be the recommended oil for the Corvair, not the 10W-30 as said in the article. Most 10W-30 oils are considered "energy conserving" and will not have enough of the ZDDP, (zinc), to protect the flat tappet engines. All the other info about ring wear and bearing wear is negligible, the important part is the cam and lifter wear as that is the highest loading part in the whole engine.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com