[FC] One Wire Alternators

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 1 15:09:04 EDT 2009

Apologies, if anyone was offended, okay?  I really wasn't calling any
individual a derogatory name, just that it strikes me as stupid when for
whatever reason, the wrong name 'catches on' as a legit descriptive term
among the general populace.  Couple that with my periodic lack of tact,
and Viola!

So yes, the terminology is incorrect in many instances, I agree with
y'all, so just don't use it --  BUT you also can get a true one-wire
alternator in the 10-Si package (I've installed a number of them on "hot
rods"), as well as in the other Si sizes if you really want to make 300
amps with our Corvair fan belt.  So when folks talk about one wire
alternators, there are only two connections -- ground and the battery.
How can you go wrong?  Well, terminology, apparently ...

The standard Corvair 10-DN externally regulated alternator is not a good
candidate for a a simple conversion, without changing to the 10-Si rear
case.  A common alternator conversion trick with the externally
regulated units was to use a Chrysler style regulator (two wires --
switched ignition in, field out -- looks simple, works great) and
the third wire for the Gen/Fan light.

This 10-DN style alternator needs three connections to work, Ground, B+
(battery), and F (field) -- it is this "field current that the regulator
regulates, regardless of what type of regulator you may use (they all
work, as long as the voltage is properly set to 13.8 - 14.2 volts)
Three connections (including ground) will make it work, but you still
have the idiot light wire for the Fan, and fortunately you have one more
terminal, the R (relay)  terminal -- hook it up - it works the light
just fine for most people.  Or use a factory regulator with factory
wiring -- the diagram is in the 1965 Shop Manual, pg 6Y-5, fig 2c

The 10-Si units are a bit different -- the regulator is "internal" --
and you need to exchange the front case frame piece from a Corvair
version of the 10-DN (or buy one from a Vair vendor) -- you still have
the battery and ground to hook up, but then  it is different -- most
cases label the other two terminals #1 & #2  --  #1 just needs a voltage
signal (like from the idiot light) to excite the regulator, and  it
should be ignition switched (like the idiot light), if you don't want to
burn things up (or just hook it up hot and disconnect the battery when
you park).  #2 is the optional voltage sensing terminal -- do not hook
up an idiot light to this terminal.  Some of these guys have a third
terminal for a tach hook up, which works fine if you have that tach. as
oem equipment.

Bill Strickland